What are Forms DSP-122 and DS-230?

Immigrants coming to the United States are required to fill out a variety of forms for the entire process. Really, the Green Card Lottery application is only the beginning, but the important part is that it is a start, a way to get the ball rolling for the immigration process. Today, the Green Card Lottery blog will outline a couple of the important forms for the process, Forms DSP-122 and DS 230.


DSP-122 is the supplemental registration form for the Green Card Lottery. You will have to first apply for the Green Card Lottery online and then check if you have won sometime in May. If you have won the Green Card Lottery, you should send this form along with DS-230 to the appropriate office.

It is of great importance to make sure that all of your information is correct and accurate to ensure that you receive confirmation and acceptance from the Department of State.

After the State Department receives this form and accepts it, you will receive a visa appointment to be conducted at the nearest consulate or embassy. You may want to start arranging travel plans at this stage of the application process.


Form DS-230 is the Application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration. This form must be filed with DSP-122 after you have received confirmation about winning the Green Card Lottery. Every member of your family must fill out this form, especially if they will be immigrating to the states as well.

It is also very important to be completely truthful and accurate when filling out this form. Many of the people who are refused entry to the United States (even though they won the Green Card Lottery) are refused because of a dishonest statement on this form.

2 thoughts on “What are Forms DSP-122 and DS-230?

  1. please, the word ”especially” there is confusing… You said every member of the family ‘must’ fill out the form DS-230 ‘especially’ if they will be immigrating to the states with me right?, My question is this, i as the primary applicant who submitted as a single applicant during the registeration period, would i now fill my family name on the form even when no one would migrate with me? Secondly, as in my case,since no one is going to be migrating with me to the states, should i just write ”none” or ”not applicable i.e N/A” on their box spaces on the form in order not to leave the space empty? Your candid explanation would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

    • The State Department says that you should include your “spouse (husband or wife), and all living unmarried children under 21 years of age, regardless of whether or not they are living with you or intend to accompany or follow to join you should you immigrate to the United States” on your applications, so this would include the DS-230.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *