How To Replace Citizenship Certificate

You can replace citizenship certificate by filing Form N-565, Application for Replacement Naturalization/Citizenship Document, with the USCIS.

Replace Citizenship Certificate Using Form N-565

Per the USCIS, you should file Form N-565, Application for Replacement Naturalization/Citizenship Document, if you have been issued a

  • Naturalization Certificate
  • Certificate of Citizenship
  • Declaration of Intention or
  • Repatriation Certificate

that has been lost, mutilated, or destroyed.

Even if you have a new name now because it has been changed by marriage or by court order after the citizenship document was issued and you seek a document in the new name, you will have to file this form. However, Form N-565 should not be filed to correct errors on the citizenship certificate unless they are USCIS errors.

To replace citizenship certificate, the process consists of preparing and mailing the completed N-565 application package to the USCIS along with the appropriate fees and supporting documents (if any). The instructions page that accompanies the application will have all the information about the fees, the mailing address and supporting documents. Make sure there is no mistake in the fee or mailing address as your application will be returned thus dragging the entire process.

The Application Process

Get two color photographs of yourself apart from the appropriate supporting documents. The photograph should mirror your current facial features and should be taken within 30 days of filing this application.

If you are filing this form to get a replacement of a mutilated document, you are enjoined to attach the mutilated document while mailing your N-565 application. Supporting documents in a language other than English has to be accompanied by a full English language translation where the translator takes the responsibility to certify it as complete and accurate. After you mail the application seeking a replacement, subsequent processing steps would be, the USCIS checking the application for completeness, including submission of the required initial evidence and the submission fee.

Applications incomplete or not sandwiched between the needed initial evidence and appropriate fee will not establish a basis for eligibility. The USCIS may deny your application in such cases. Neither will applications not signed be accepted and the USCIS will reject it with a notice that the application is deficient. So ensuring your application is complete and submitting the needed supporting documents and the appropriate fee is absolutely essential.

After receiving your application, the USCIS will see to it that you receive an Application Receipt Notice with a 13-character Application Receipt number within 30 days of having filed your form. With this notice, you can be assured that USCIS has received your application and that it is being processed. Further more, you may use the number on the receipt to track the status of your application while it is pending.

If need be, the USCIS may request more information or evidence at the time of your interview. They may also request you to submit the originals of any document and that will be returned after the interview. Finally, should you establish eligibility for the document, your application will be approved and the new document issued. If your application is denied, the USCIS will notify you in writing of the reasons for the denial. You can breathe a sigh of relief after five months as the whole process on an average takes up to five months.