The Green Card Lottery 2015 started its registration period at 12pm EST on October 1, 2013 and will continue accepting applications until the same time of day on November 2, 2013.
No applications will be accepted after November 2 for this particular lottery season.
Many potential immigrants are curious about what is required of them on the Green Card Lottery applications.
In fact, there are two important applications involved in the Green Card Lottery. Both require careful scrutiny on the side of the applicant.
The first application is for the entry into the actual lottery. The second application is for an immigration visa after a lottery participant has won the drawing.
The registration application requires that an immigration hopeful send in a variety of information:
- Personal identification and the identity information of all dependents (this includes one’s spouse and all of one’s children as long as they are unmarried and under the age of 21)
- Photographs. The photographs that must be included in the application must be digital, adhere to certain specifications set out in the Green Card Lottery instructions and generally resemble passport photographs
- This step will also involve the immigrant collecting supporting documentation to prepare for an eventual immigration visa application. One must be able to show that one can meet the requirements of the Green Card Lottery
These are the Green Card Lottery requirements:
- Applicants must be from an eligible country or able to claim a qualified nationality from a spouse or parent
- They must also have at least a high school education or two years of experience in a profession that required two years of training (in a qualified profession as laid out by the Department of Labor)
Announcement of Winners
After all of the registration applications have been collected, the State Department will select the winners of the Green Card Lottery and announce them on May 1, 2013.
Of the 100,000 winners selected, only 50,000 will be given green cards, the other winners being disqualified through faulty applications.
One can check if one has won by entering the confirmation number they received when the registered into the online status check site at the Department of State’s website.
Application for Visa
The application for an immigration visa will be submitted through one of the U.S. foreign consulates and should contain a significant amount of documentation that supports the information filled into the actual form.
Once the application has been accepted, immigrants are then scheduled for an interview at the consulate. If all goes well, they will be granted an immigration visa to the United States!
Application for Entry into the United States
In effect, all an immigration visa is is a document that allows a person to apply for entry at the United States. It is not a guarantee that the immigrant will be accepted into the country.
If, upon application for entry at a U.S. port of entry, an immigrant is admitted, they will then receive their Green Card in the mail.